After several months of construction, Xenia’s first roundabout at the intersection of US 42 and E. Church Street has opened.
The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) was responsible for the construction of the project which began in March of 2020 and opened to drivers on Friday, June 12. More than 13,000 vehicles travel through the intersection each day and prior to the roundabout project, it was one of the more difficult areas to navigate for drivers.
With this being the first roundabout in Xenia, it is important drivers understand how to navigate the route.
- Slow down, stay in your lane
- Yield to vehicles already in the roundabout
- Traffic in roundabout has the right-of-way
- Merge to the right
- Continue through roundabout until you reach your exit, avoid stopping in the roundabout
- Signal and exit to the right
According to ODOT, roundabouts reduce crashes by 40 to 60 percent and reduce injury by 35 to 80 percent. They are said to be the most effective way to control intersections by reducing vehicle speeds and severity of crashes that do occur. In addition to improving safety of drivers, roundabouts also improve the safety of pedestrians and bicyclists.