Charter Review Commission
- 12:30 p.m. on the first and third Tuesdays of the month
- City Administration Building
Conference and Training Room, Second Floor
107 E. Main Street
Xenia, OH 45385
- Jeanne O'Callaghan, Chair
- Chelsey Garrett, Vice Chair
- Howard Horstman
- Sarah Mays, Mayor
- Wes Smith, Councilman
- Thomas Scrivens (Alternate)
- Jim Percival (Alternate)
CHARTER SECTION 8.05: Charter Review Commission
A. Creation. In addition to those Boards and Commissions listed in Section 8.01, the Council shall appoint, at least every five (5) years, by an affirmative vote of at least four (4) Council members, a Charter Review Commission. Notwithstanding any other section of this Article VIII, the Charter Review Commission’s composition, powers, and duties shall be as set forth in this section.
B. Membership; Term.
(1) The Commission shall consist of an odd number of members, from a minimum of five (5) members to a maximum of eleven (11) members, who shall be electors of the City at the time of their appointment and during their respective terms of office, and no more than two (2) of said members shall hold other elective office or employment with the City. The Law Director shall serve as legal counsel to the Commission, and the City Manager and the Finance Director, or their designees, may serve as advisors to the Commission.
(2) In the event a member resigns or is unable to serve, the seat of that member shall be deemed vacant and City Council shall appoint a new member to fill the absent member’s term.
(3) The terms of the members of the Charter Review Commission shall terminate at the time designated by City Council for the filing of the Commission’s report, with recommendations, to the Council, unless such time is extended by Council, by resolution.
C. Meetings; Powers.
(1) The Commission shall conduct its meetings in accordance with the Ohio Open Meeting Law, and the rules of order for the Commission shall be the same as the Rules of Council.
(2) The Commission shall elect its own Chair and Vice Chair, and the Chair shall establish the agenda for all meetings of the Commission.
(3) A majority vote of the Commission members present shall be required to approve or disapprove any motion before the Commission.
D. Duties; Report to Council. The Charter Review Commission shall review the City Charter and within the time designated by Council at the time the Commission members are appointed, and shall recommend to Council such amendments, additions, or revisions, if any, to this Charter that the Commission deems necessary or desirable. After the consideration of the recommendations of the Commission, the City Council may submit all or any of such proposed amendments, additions, or revisions to this Charter to the electorate in the manner prescribed by the Constitution of the State of Ohio.