Xenia Recreation and Events Commission (formerly BRACA)
- 6 p.m. on the first Tuesday of the month
- City Administration Building
City Council Chambers
107 E. Main Street
Xenia, OH 45385
Special sessions/park tours may be scheduled as needed. The public is invited to attend. Those who would like to relay a question, comment, or concern to the Xenia Recreation and Events Commission may do so at the meeting during audience break or by contacting the Chair of the Commission or the staff representatives through the links on this page. Citizens interested in placing an item on the agenda for discussion should submit their requests to the City Clerk at the following address:
City of Xenia
Attn: City Clerk
107 E. Main Street
Xenia, OH 45385
Requests must be received no less than 10 days prior to the meeting date.
Agendas & Minutes
For information on X-REC agendas and meeting minutes, please email the City Clerk or call 937-376-7235.
- Ethan Reynolds
- Joshua Day (Appointed by School Board)
- Hiba Loukssi, Student Liaison
About the Commission
The Xenia Recreation and Events Commission, or X-REC, (formerly the Board for Recreation, Arts and Cultural Activities, or BRACA) is governed by Chapter 284 of Title Eight: Boards, Commissions, and Committees, of Part Two - City Government of the Xenia City Code and was most recently updated with passage of Ordinance 2022-21. The Commission shall consist of five members, residents of the City, who are appointed by City Council to staggered terms of four years each. One Commission member may be a representative of the Board of Education of the Xenia Community Schools who is a resident of the City and whose membership is nominated by the Board of Education. In addition to the five Board members, the City Council may appoint up to three ex-officio, non-voting members of the Board, who may be students at Xenia High School, to advise the Board. One Council member serves as chair as appointed by the Council President at their second regular session in January of each year. The staff representative is the Public Service Maintenance Supervisor. X-REC is a recommending body to City Council. The Commission shall plan, organize, and coordinate community events with the City; their powers and duties are as follows:
- To study matters of recreation needs of the citizens of the City and make recommendations to City Council in matters pertaining to the supervision, use, maintenance and enhancements to the City’s parks and recreation facilities;
- To study matters regarding recreation programs and events to enhance the use of the City’s parks and recreation facilities and make recommendations to City Council on the same;
- To conduct any form of recreation or cultural activity that will employ the leisure time of people in a constructive and wholesome manner;
- To study and recommend to the City Council rules and regulations regarding the use of the City’s parks and recreation facilities by residents and nonresidents;
- To advise the City’s Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council whether a subdivider or developer shall dedicate parkland, pay a fee in lieu of dedication or provide a combination thereof, in accordance with the City’s Land Development Code;
- Act as a liaison with the Xenia Community Schools and entities providing, or seeking to provide recreation services, events, or activities in the City regarding the administration, development, or conduct of such services, events, or activities; and
- Any other powers and duties assigned to it by City Council, by ordinance, or the laws of the State of Ohio to the extent that those assigned powers or duties do not conflict with the provisions of the City’s Charter.
Interested in Serving?
If a vacancy on the Commission is noted above and you are interested in serving, please contact City Clerk Michelle Johnson at (937) 376-7235 or email.