- City Clerk
Mayoral Proclamation Issuance Guidelines
Proclamations are issued by the Mayor of the City of Xenia to recognize and celebrate the extraordinary achievements of Xenia citizens and non-profit organizations, honor occasions of importance and significance to Xenians, and increase public awareness of issues to improve the wellbeing of the people of this city.
Guidelines & Criteria
- Be submitted on the official request form with exact wording to include at least four "Whereas" clauses at least 30 days prior to the due date*
- Be made by a City of Xenia resident
- Be for an organization or event residing in (or occurring within) or for a person(s) residing in the City limits
- Clearly include name, address and telephone number of the person making the request, as well as to whom and where the document should be addressed and mailed (if different from the requester)
- Have a positive citywide impact
- Not take sides in matters of political controversy, ideological or religious beliefs, or individual conviction
*Exceptions may be made for condolence requests, which should be made as soon as possible after the person’s passing. The request will be fulfilled as soon as possible.
- Proclamations are ceremonial and do not carry any legislative or legal value
- More than one cause can be proclaimed simultaneously. An organization does not have exclusive rights to the day, week, or month of their proclamation
- Only one proclamation can be issued per year per organization
- Each renewal request will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
- Request for proclamations for out-of-city events or for-profit causes will not be accommodated
- National or International groups requesting proclamations must have an in-city sponsor
- The Mayor’s issuance of a proclamation does not constitute an endorsement
- The Mayor and City Clerk have the authority to modify the proposed text for clarity and grammatical correctness
- Proclamations are granted solely at the discretion of the Mayor of Xenia and the Mayor reserves the right to amend these guidelines at any time
Submission of a proclamation request does not guarantee issuance. Due to the volume of submissions received, every request may not be granted.
- Access a fill-in PDF form (PDF). *BE SURE TO PRINT AND SCAN THE COMPLETED FORM. If you save the pdf file, you must "PRINT TO PDF" or do a "SAVE AS" and save it with a different file name.
- Complete and submit the request electronically.
Please email the Proclamation Request form to Michelle Johnson, City Clerk, fax it to 937-374-1818, or hand deliver/mail to:
Office of the Mayor
c/o Michelle Johnson, City Clerk
RE: Proclamation Request
107 E. Main Street
Xenia, Ohio 45385