Xenia Municipal Court has jurisdiction over violations of any ordinance of any municipal corporation within its territory. The court also has jurisdiction over all misdemeanor violations of state law that occur within the limits of the court’s territory. Additionally, the court conducts initial hearings, and/or any other necessary hearing, prior to indictment of a defendant for felony charges originating within the jurisdiction of the court.
The Xenia Municipal Court has jurisdiction for the cities of Xenia and Bellbrook; the villages of Yellow Springs, Cedarville, Jamestown, Spring Valley, and Bowersville; and the townships of Sugarcreek, Xenia, Cedarville, New Jasper, Silvercreek, Ceasarcreek, Miami, Jefferson, Ross, and Spring Valley. The Court’s jurisdiction also includes four college campuses: Central State University, Wilberforce University, Cedarville College, and Antioch College. Law enforcement agencies located within the jurisdiction of the court include: Bellbrook Police Department; Cedarville Police Department; Central State University Police Department; Greene County Animal Control; Greene County Sheriff’s Office; Greene County Parks District; Jamestown Police Department; Ohio Department of Parks and Natural Resources; Ohio Department of Wildlife; Ohio State Highway Patrol; Sugarcreek Township Police Department; Wilberforce University Police Department; Xenia Police Division; and Yellow Springs Police Department.
There is a civil division of Xenia Municipal Court for cases valued up to $15,000, landlord/tenant cases, and small claims cases valued up to $3,000.
Xenia Municipal Court has a Probation Department that supervises over 800 individuals assigned to Probation by the Court. The Probation Department oversees the court’s house arrest program and community service program.
- Proper dress is required for all court appearances. While no list can cover every situation, examples of improper clothing would include: short shorts; short skirts; tank tops; halter tops; clothing where undergarments are showing; sleeveless shirts; t-shirts with graphics or messages depicting drugs, alcohol, sex or disrespect for the law or the Court; and ripped or excessively dirty or greasy clothes.
- Shoes must be worn.
- Hats and sunglasses are to be removed before entering the courtroom.
- Use of cell phones, pagers, tablets or any other electronic device is prohibited. All electronic devices are to be turned off before entering the courtroom.
- There is to be no recording of any court proceeding without the approval of the judge in advance.
- Once entering the courtroom, please refrain from talking, unless when necessary for court proceedings. Foul or abusive language will not be tolerated.
- Food and drinks are prohibited in the courtroom.
- Anyone who in the court's opinion is dressed inappropriately or violates one of these conduct expectations may be denied access by the Court Bailiffs or asked to leave by the Judge.
Xenia Municipal Court is located on the second floor of Xenia City Hall, 101 N. Detroit Street. The XMC Probation Department is located at 64 E. Main St.
Hours are 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays & Wednesdays. Hours are 7:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays. The Court and Probation Department observes the following holidays: New Year's Day; Martin Luther King, Jr. Day; Memorial Day; Independence Day; Labor Day; Veteran's Day; Thanksgiving (and the Friday following); and Christmas Day. THE COURT WILL BE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC ON MONDAY, OCTOBER 13 FOR CITY AND DEPARTMENTAL TRAINING. SEVERE WEATHER VOICEMAIL: PLease call 374-6044.
Fax: (937) 376-7288